Simplicity at its finest is NOT what i would depict how my life was, nor would i suggest the continuation of my naivety however, as my life escalates into complexity, i hope to keep my optimistic hindsight on life in order to live. Just live. My personal ordeal is to live with no regrets, as though i will die tomorrow. I follow the path that will lead me to who I want to be: someone who people can confide in, to go to when they are in their deepest hour; that's who I want to be. That is my aim in life. Hobbies and interests make my path more flamboyant and enticing, while my family, pet, and friends are the reasons for my existence; the reasons why i try and improve myself. My lack of self motivation for change may be quite obvious, but it doesn't mean that improvement did not occur. It may be so petite, so small, that it's practically invisible, but i guarantee you, i do try. Indefinitely.



Blog By EGO BOX

Friday 20 February 2009

"hopeless emptiness"

"Huh, hopeless emptiness... Now you've said it. Plenty of people are onto the emptiness, but it takes real guts to see the hopelessness..." quoted John Givings (Revolutionary Road).

Today, we truanted. I kid =). We were legally truanting! Again, I kid. We had an excursion to Burwood's Greater Union Cinema to watch Revolutionary Road, directed by Sam Mendes, starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo Di Caprio. It supposedly related to the book we are currently studying: A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen. I recommend you to not read any further if you don't want to be spoiled.

All I can say is the character April Wheeler(Kate Winslet) was a naive, adventurous part-time actress who yearned for something out of the ordinary while Frank Wheeler(Leonardo Di Caprio) was a power-starved, emotionally stressed businessman. The movie represents the stereotypical lifestyle of an American couple, where people considered them as 'special.' Both have suffered a considerable amount of stress which ultimately lead to the demise of two important peole in Frank's life. Issues of reality V appearance, feminism, patriarchal view of society and lost of identity embodied itself within the movie, leading the movie to a tragic, sickening finish. The couple entered one other's lives by a string of fate, where both desired more than just a typical American in an undisturbed suburb; both yearns for something spetacular - Frank wanted to discover himself while April seeked for an escapade. After a couple of years of marriage, they gave themselve a new destination: Paris. Unfortunately, the two burdened lovebireds never managed to leave the cage, figuratively speaking - American idealisms; or literally speaking - their little white house. The suffocation caused both parents to seek sexual chemistry with someone else besides one another. The predicaments of this couple was expected from both characters, however, it was John Givings (Michael Shannon) who catalysed the process; they had the guns, John provided them with ammunition. When the truth was revealed, all hell broke loose - emotions raged out of control, funitures broken in half, decorations splattered to the ground, the list went on. A game of cat and mouse began between the couple, leading to an expecting, yet tragic, death of April, along with the foetus whom she aborted herself. After they left Revolutionary Road, their existence were prefered to be erased by the people associated with them. They weren't consider as 'special' anymore.

To me, I thought the movie was quite sad and straightfoward, especially with John's lines. Although he was considered as mentally disabled individual, he was the most honest person out of all of them. I would rate it 7 out of 10 =).

For the rest of the day, we ate, we looked, we windowshopped, we bought food. Some chose to stay, while others went back to school. I was one of the people going back to school because of the English tutorial after school. I had a wonderful talk with Mrs Paniku =). Boy, I'm sure going to miss everything, and everyone, when it's all over. It's already the end of week 4 xO!

No comments: